This medicinal recipe is from Tierona Low Dog, MD, who is a leading authority on botanical medicine and dietary supplements. This is a recipe that we have on hand as an antiviral for when a cold or flu seems to be taking hold. This is a good way to get garlic into children. It needs to sit for a week or two to be ready to use, but has a shelf life of months.
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 10 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 4-6 bulbs fresh garlic, whole cloves, peeled
- 10 ounces honey
- Simmer fennel in vinegar over low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add garlic and honey.
- Heat very gently just enough to blend honey. Be careful not to heat garlic much, as antimicrobial effects will be lost.
- Pour into sterilized glass container (not plastic). Mason jars work well.
- Store at room temperature. Ready to use after 1-2 weeks. Will keep for many months.